The Jacket

Filed under Student Life

Grand Golden Mic

students showcase their creativity at Golden Mic

Golden+Mic+flyer+Posted+next+to+Ms.+Curry+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Grand Golden Mic

Golden Mic flyer Posted next to Ms. Curry

September 28th was the only Friday Golden Mic took place at the media center. The day where Blake’s own yellow jacket poets took a step forward entering the welcoming atmosphere in showing their creativity. The period where students show cased very bravely their poems and songs. The time that Golden Mic showed how it is truly the place you would want to go to be aspired by everyone’s talents, don’t miss out in the experience and go for it while you have the chance!

As the audience patiently waited, poetry writers were warming up to go in front of the mic. The Mc’s of Golden Mic greeted the students very openly and appreciated the company of their peers. Many students came from the cafeteria to have their lunch while enjoying the event. As the seats started to get filled in, students around conversed with each other leading to communication and friendship among others. While observing the crowd, many students were excited to hear the unexpected come out of a student.
When going up the stage the Mc’s made it clear that Golden Mic was the place to  convey yourself and that it was a safe environment for everyone. Liza, one of the Mc’s announced that “Usually Golden Mic is every Wednesday but this time it’s weird having it on a Friday.” 

The first runner up was Angie, a creative writing major who started poetry a year ago and was a first timer at Golden Mic. When going up in front of the Mic she looked much tensed at first but performed her poem greatly. ”I thought it was going to be scary but the atmosphere was comforting” she claims. As the presetations started to get further along, the audience enjoyed every aspect of the student’s talents applauding after every performance and giving positive feedback.

One interesting performer was done by Josiah, a junior theatre major, who played the guitar and sung “lemonade” by Jeremy passion. As he went up the stage he also looked frantic bringing up his guitar close to his chest and adjusting the mic. As he performed his beautiful solo he swayed the crowd and got a big cheer. “I felt small, like a little drop of water when going up the stage” Josiah proclaimed, nonetheless he performed like a true star.

To close out the event, Connor, another Mc of Golden Mic made a last call for any other poets and surprisingly one of the contestants stepped up again, Lyn, recited her poem “I love attention” and received one last applause, she related to her poem “I love attention” because she loves the attention. ”I had excited nerves when performing” which is why it made her execute twice. Finally, the event closed out and all the Mc’s recognizd everyone who came, Connor closed out saying “you make Golden Mic real, the next Golden Mic is October 24th, Wednesdays for now on.”

After the event was over, everybody gathered together and discussed their opinions on each of their presentations. One of the audiences, Kiara Vazquez confessed “It was really cool how everybody was really open.” Another one of the audiences, Kristen Navarro, affirmed “It was nice seeing different talents.” Golden Mic was definitely a success especially to those who performed, observing student’s creativity is truly entertaining and interesting. The place where you can express and feel safe with others, come next time to be a part of it and make the creativity grow among others.