The Jacket

Filed under News, Showcase

Hurricane Michael Is a Catastrophe

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hurricane Michael Is a Catastrophe

"Bo Lynn's Market is flooded in St. Marks, Florida, on October 10" - source: cnn.com

Mark Wallheiser/Getty Images

Mark Wallheiser/Getty Images

Mark Wallheiser/Getty Images

At around 12:30 pm on Wednesday Hurricane Michael hit the Florida Panhandle. At this time, the hurricane was at category 4 with 155 mph wind speeds. A category five hurricane would have been at 157 mph. Michael was the strongest hurricane to ever hit the Florida panhandle. In fact, it’s the strongest hurricane to hit the United States since Hurricane Camile in 1969.

Tallahassee Police
The upheaval of a tree brought down powerlines with it, blocking one of many flooded streets in Tallahassee, FL.

There has already been one confirmed fatality. This death occurred in Florida

The hurricane is no longer in Florida, but cities affected are still in a state of disaster. Evacuated families can’t return home. Roads have been flooded and blocked by debris. Governor Rick Scott has been tweeting thoroughly throughout the disaster. As of recently, he strongly encourages families to stay off roads. According to Florida records, almost 400,000 went without power.

As of 9pm, October 10th- Hurricane Michael has decreased to category 1, wind speeds at 85 mph. It is about 80 miles south west of Macon, Georgia- a city in central Georgia. It is moving northeast at 17mph
Meteorologists suspect that Hurricane Michael will have made its way across southeastern united states by 2 am on Friday. The path of the storm seems to go straight through Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina before returning to the sea.

The Weather Channel’s map of Hurricane Michael, using data from the National Hurricane Center

Tampanians were not heavily affected by Hurricane Michael. Coastal regions on Hillsborough and Pinellas County had storm surge watches. Tampa rainfall was insignificant. Wind did not cause any noted damage, despite gusts of 35 mph reported.

However, St. Petersburg, FL experienced flooding during high tide. It is unsure what the next high tide, 12:30 am, will bring in the earliest moments of tomorrow for coastal residents.

Hillsborough County Schools remained open. Blake students’ day progressed normally as they took the PSAT. The day remained overcast, however rain was not experienced until after school was dismissed.

Cydney Socias, Assistant Editor

Hello. My name is Cydney Socias. I'm currently a sophomore at Blake High School. I am the Assistant Editor of The Jacket. I've won two FSPA (Florida...